Please send any inquiries or resumes to Board president Dennis Uhler at email@example.com
Alpine Lake Resort is a four-season, multi-amenity resort located in the beautiful mountains of Terra Alta, West Virginia. Encompassing almost 2,000 acres of wooded land and thirty-five miles of paved roads, the resort offers dozens of natural and man-made amenities, including a variety of lodging accommodations, a 150-acre lake, an 18-hole golf course, private homes, a lodge, hiking trails and dining. The resort welcomes and serves visitors and guests year-round as well as its over 500 full and part-time residents. The Alpine Lake Property Owners Association, through a general manager, manages all aspects of the community and resort.
The resort is a well-regarded regional destination that provides a great place for employees to begin or continue a career in a beautiful, rejuvenating mountain environment just a few hours’ drive from Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington, DC. Alpine Lake Resort is truly a place where members, guests and employees can come to “Live Their Dreams.”
Controller Position Description
Alpine Lake Resort is looking for a self-directed, experienced, energetic finance and accounting professional to join our exceptionally talented team and lead us to the next level of growth and profitability. The Controller directs and is responsible for a wide range of financial activities of the resort including preparation of monthly financial statements, development of the annual budgets, refinement of the company’s accounting and finance infrastructure, and enforcement of internal control systems. The controller maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
The ideal candidate must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. The successful candidate will be results-driven, highly analytical and detail-oriented. Candidates should possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The Controller will closely partner with leadership to analyze the resort’s financial results, deliver accurate reporting, and develop prescriptive financial and budget projections. This role will involve working hand in hand with all our department managers. The successful candidate will also oversee and be responsible for payroll, forecasting, paperwork related to onboarding and off boarding employees, A/P & A/R.
- Assist management, the treasurer, and board with important financial decisions by providing financial and cost information vital to the decision-making process.
- Evaluate, develop, implement, maintain, continually improve, and enforce a comprehensive set of accounting and internal control processes designed to protect assets, mitigate risk, produce accurate financial reports, and enhance resort profitability.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate all accounting functions through supervision of employees who work under the controller recording financial transactions.
- Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting internal audits and by providing information to the treasurer and external auditors.
- Provide status of the resort’s financial condition by developing and monitoring business performance metrics; and by collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepare periodic internal and external financial statements, business reports, and financial forecasts to understand the financial state of business, identify trends, determine ways to reduce costs, and provide guidance to enhance growth and profitability.
- Prepare timely (by second Friday of each month) and accurate monthly financial reports, including a budget to actuals variance report, a Profit & Loss statement, and certification of balance sheet reconciliations.
- Manage the budget process and prepare budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; and recommending plans.
- Assist the general manager and department heads in achieving budget objectives by scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances; and recommending and initiating corrective actions.
- Recruit, hire, train, and retain skilled accounting staff.
- Maintain accounting staff job results by following up on work results, coaching, counseling, and disciplining accounting staff, and by planning, monitoring, and appraising job performance.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
Controller Qualifications / Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, MBA and/or CPA is a plus
- 5-7 years related experience, preferably in hospitality and restaurant industries
- 2-3 years management/supervisory experience
- Skilled in managing and improving processes
- Financial software implementation experience
- Ability in developing, tracking, and analyzing budget expenses
All full-time employees receive two weeks’ vacation per year, and health and other insurance benefits. All employees receive discounts on meals and use of resort amenities for themselves and their household including the golf course, lake, pool, and fitness room.
Relocation and temporary housing assistance are available for the right candidate.